Advancing Natural Capital in Finance
NCD Signatories and supporters outline the importance of a financial sector response to natural resource challenges linked to loans and investments. Featuring the World Bank Group, UniCredit, Yes Bank, Infraprev, UN Environment Programme, Global Canopy Programme and WWF.
Video message at IFC/NCD workshop on Natural Capital
Bill Rahill, Environment and Natural Resources Global Practice Director (World Bank Group) and NCD Steering Committee Chair, and Charles Anderson, UNEP-FI Director and NCD Secretariat Co-director, address banks, fund managers and insurers at a workshop on “Advancing innovative approaches to environmental risk management in the financial sector” on 30 October 2014. They highlighted the growing momentum around addressing economic implications/ risks of the rapid depletion of natural capital (natural assets such as forests, soil, water and clean air) during the event in Cape Town, South Africa.
Webinar: Natural Capital for Investors
What is business doing to manage its activities from a natural capital perspective?
Investors are increasingly seeking to more accurately quantify the sustainability risks and opportunities in the companies they invest in. Some forward-thinking investors view the management of their investments as a powerful catalyst for social change, engaging business to promote more sustainable and just practices.
- How can investors ensure that the businesses they are investing in have positive impacts on people and the ecosystems on which they depend, to ensure long-term success? How can they effectively include natural capital elements in their investment decisions and shareholder engagement?
- How are companies currently striving to embed natural capital throughout their core business and supply chains, and through their policies and practices? What is the business case for doing this, and what tools are they using? How is this evolving?
A common vision shared by leading businesses and investors is world where more sustainable companies are recognized and rewarded, and therefore more successful.
This webinar is co-organized by the World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD), Natural Capital Declaration, International Finance Corporation, Corporate Eco Forum, Natural Capital Coalition, Mercy Investment Services, Inc., ICCR Interfaith Center on Corporate Responsibility, SIRAN, the Sustainable Investment Research Analyst Network, a working group of US SIF – The Forum for Sustainable and Responsible Investment, and Calvert.
Please see below for a recording of the webinar:
- Marcela Pinilla, Mercy Investment Services, Inc.
- Michelle Lapinski, International Finance Corporation
- Eva Zabey, Director, Redefining Value – Natural Capital, WBCSD
- Michael Beutler, Sustainability Operations Director, Kering
- Mark Weick, Director Sustainability Programs and Enterprise Risk Management, Dow
- Stu Dalheim, VP, Shareholder Advocacy, Calvert
- Evan Harvey, Director, Sustainability, The NASDAQ OMX Group
- Julie Gorte, Senior Vice President for Sustainable Investment, Pax World
- Paul Chandler, Manager of Investor Engagements, Environmental Issues, PRI
- Fred Boltz, Managing Director, Ecosystems, The Rockefeller Foundation
- Liesel van Ast, NCD Programme Manager
- Moderator: Pieter van der Gaag, interim Executive Director, Natural Capital Coalition
Rio+20 Corporate Sustainability Forum – Press Briefing for the Launch of the Natural Capital Declaration – Perspectives from Senior Finance Executives
At this press conference, signatory CEOs of the Natural Capital Declaration, and one of the NCD’s convenors, answered questions on the Declaration – a statement signed by the CEOs of financial institutions committing to work towards embedding natural capital considerations into financial products and services.
This followed the Launch of the Natural Capital Declaration: Perspectives from Senior Executives, from 14:00 – 15:30 pm at the Corporate Sustainability Forum at the United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development (Rio+20). The launch was moderated by Achim Steiner, Executive Director, UNEP and Under-Secretary General of the United Nations.
- Carlos Frederico Aires Duque, Chief Executive Officer, Infraprev
- Barbara Krumsiek, Chief Executive Officer, Calvert Investments
- William Bulmer, Director, Environmental, Social and Governance Department, International Finance Corporation (IFC)
- Paul Simpson, Chief Executive Officer, Carbon Disclosure Programme (CDP)
- Andrew Mitchell, Executive Director of the Global Canopy Programme (one of three convenors of the Natural Capital Declaration) and Chairman of the Forest Footprint Disclosure Project (FFD)